TEEN APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM
Studio in a School is offering an exciting opportunity for high school students to obtain a paid summer job teaching art in a summer camp in the summer of 2013. Students age 16 and older who are selected for this program will participate in an apprenticeship program in the spring, which takes place on weekdays after school, as well as on select Saturdays and two weekdays during Spring Break. Through this apprenticeship, students will:
● Learn the fundamentals of art
● Learn how to instruct young children in basic art lessons
● Develop good work habits and learn about the expectations of the workplace
● Receive a stipend upon completion of the apprenticeship
● Be considered for a paid job during the summer
The program improves college readiness and is a great opportunity for young people to learn valuable skills, get paid and have fun. However, it is highly competitive, so apply right away!
Do I qualify for the Teen Apprenticeship Program?
To be selected, you must be enrolled in a New York City public high school and:
● Be 16 years or older
● Have an interest in working with childern
● Have an interest in art
● Be able to commit to the spring apprenticeship program as well as the paid summer job
● Be able to work legally in the U.S.
No prior experience necessary.
When does the program begin?
● The apprenticeship program will begin the week of March 18
● Classes will be held after school. There are two classes to choose from:
● Manhattan: Mondays and Wednesdays, 4:00 - 6:00
● Brooklyn: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 3:30 - 5:30
● The full apprenticeship program will be comprised of 60 hours of training
● The summer job component of the program will begin the week of July 2, and be complete by mid-August
● There will be 2 full day sessions during Spring Break in March and several Saturday sessions in May and June
What is the pay for this program?
● Students who complete all 60 hours of the Teen Apprenticeship Program will receive a stipend of $250.
● Students who successfully complete all elements of the apprenticeship program may be selected for a paid summer job.
What does the summer internship involve?
● Interns will be placed at summer camps around NYC.
● Internships will begin around July 2nd and last 6-7 weeks, depending on the site.
● Interns will work about 25 hours per week.
● Interns will earn a minimum hourly wage of $7.25 for the summer internship. This includes work hours and training.
How can I apply to the Teen Apprenticeship Program?
Please read the instructions carefully and include all required components of the application.
Please be sure you and a parent or guardian has signed them. Remember, these are due by Friday, February 8th.
Please complete the attached application and mail, email or fax your application to:
Studio in a School
410 West 59th Street
New York, NY 10019
Attention: Teen Apprenticeship Program
How do I know I’ve been selected?
Upon reviewing your application, a Studio in a School staff member will contact you only if you have been selected for an interview. Those who are selected for an interview will be contacted by February 15. Interviews will be held the week of February 20th and 25th, 2013. Students who are selected will be notified shortly after the interviews, and the program will begin the week of March 18.
When is my application due?
Applications are due no later than Friday, February 8th, 2013, without exception.